Many of us skip our first important decision of the morning, one that we make before we open our eyes and get out of bed. It is the decision concerning how we feel about this new day. Our first thoughts upon waking shape our experience of the rest of the day. Will we be calm or harried? Happy or frustrated? Will we feel confident and comfortable about what lies ahead, or worried about how the day will unfold?
It’s true that our day will unfold however it does, and that the many people around us — our families, coworkers, total strangers — will behave however they choose. But despite all of that, I believe that our first thoughts of the morning have a significant impact on how we experience or react to others and to the ups and downs of the day. Whatever happens, we can be absolutely certain of one truth -– we choose how we feel about every single thing that happens from the moment our day begins.
I suggest a quick morning routine of five simple steps that you can do in two minutes and that will significantly influence your experience of the day. Really, two minutes. And no matter how busy our day is going to be, we probably can give ourselves the gift of two minutes, first thing in the morning, to check in with ourselves. So tomorrow morning, give this a try…
– Be still and, with your eyes closed, take three very deep breaths, fully filling and emptying your lungs with each breath.
– Then, silently ask yourself, “How do I truly wish to feel this morning and throughout my entire day?” Listen patiently and carefully to the answer(s) you hear.
– Ask yourself, “Is there something that I can do to today that will help me take loving care of myself throughout this day?” Again, listen patiently and carefully to the answer(s) you hear.
– Take a moment to decide if you are willing to do what you have just heard yourself say would be a way to take loving care of yourself.
– Whisper a “THANK YOU!” to yourself and open your eyes. You are ready to begin your day!
I hope that you have a wonderful day.